Matthew Elder Meek - Grandfather of Nora Emily Linton

Ohio

Towns of :  Canton - New Berlin / North Canton - Wooster
Counties of:  Stark - Wayne - Columbiana

A Photographic Scrapbook Of Our Family History 

Email JustUs
(Click on thumbnails for a larger image.)

Brown
Documents
Deeds
Obits
CS Erbland
Donald
Erbland
Lake-O-Springs
Linton
Meek
Shaffer
Scenes
Unknown
Terry's Photos
Wooster
Maps
Others
Headstones

Chautauqua
Eastern NY
Europe
Ohio
Versailles

Census

Search

Guestbook
Email
Home

Harry E. Linton - Father of Nora Emily Linton

(Page Last Updated:  2008-02-15 )

Maps

Index:

  1. The C. Aultman & Co. works on Sanborn map of January, 1887.
  2. The Bucher & Gibbs Plow Co. on Sanborn map of January, 1887.
  3. Location of Canton Cutlery Co., circa 1881, plotted on 1887 Sanborn Map
  4. Location of the Canton Cutlery Co., circa 1885, referenced to 1891 Sanborn Map.
  5. Location of Canton Cutlery Company, circa 1889, plotted in USGS topo map.
  6. Location of Canton Cutlery Co., circa 1891, shown on 1891 Sanborn Map.
  7. Location of Canton Cutlery Co., circa 1902 and later, as shown on 1914 Sanborn map.
  8. 1886 Real Estate Sale from Harry Linton to Elizabeth Linton
  9. 1225 Cleveland Av S.W. - The Meek Home
  10. Will L. Brown property at Lake-O-Springs
  11. Twp 11, Range 9, (Jackson Twp) Stark County, 1896.
  12. The Stark Rolling Mills on Sanborn map of 1914
  13. 706 Navarre Rd. was the 1910 Home of Charles Erbland, His Mother and Stepfather.
  14. 1449 Gibbs Ave., Home of Charles & Anna Erbland & Family

Pencil Divider Graphic

The C. Aultman & Co. works in Canton, Ohio, are  depicted on Sheet 11 of the Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps of January 1887. This is where August Erbland worked. On 20-DEC-1886, he died of a heart attack while working in the building labelled, “Moulding Ho.”  The moulding house building was centered at N40º 47.521' W81º 22.529' WGS84.
Sheet 11 of the Sanborn Maps of Jan 1887 showing the location of the C. Aultman & Co. works where August Erbland died.
Return to Index, Top or Home.

Pencil Divider Graphic

The blacksmith shop at the Bucher & Gibbs Plow Co. can be seen in the lower centre of this January, 1887, Sanborn Fire Insurance Map.  This is where Mathew Elder Meek worked as a blacksmith.  The blacksmith shop building was centered at N40º 47.767' 81º 22.057' WGS84. John Rex Bucher and Lewis Gibbs founded the plow company in 1864, with  Mr. Gibbs' selling his interest in 1886 to John R. Poyser.  The Canton City Directories for the years1888 thru '92 show Mathew E Meek working here, but it is thought that this represents only a short portion of his employment with the firm.  It's interesting to note that this location is only about 0.5 Km SSE of the Reformed Church, where Donald Erbland and Marion Brown played volleyball.  On this map, that church is shown as the "1st German Reformed Church".
1887 Sanborn map showing the location of the blacksmith shop at the Bucher & Gibbs Plow Co. where Matthew Elder mek worked as a blacksmith.
Return to Index, Top or Home.

Pencil Divider Graphic

The area shaded in red marks the parcel of land sold to the Canton Cutlery Company incorporated by Cornelius Aultman on 18-MAR-1881.  The plot was produced by using the description, distances and compass bearings given in the 1881 deed that is recorded in the Stark County deeds, Vol. 174, pages 493 & 494. The red "x's" mark the points described in that deed. This property is thought to be the first location of the Canton Cutlery Company.  The centre of the purchased property was located at approx. N40º47.562’ W81º22.288’ (WGS84). This is just a short distance southwest of the present intersection of Cherry Ave SE and Mulberry Rd SE.  Liberty and Aultman Streets no longer exist.
Map showing the parcel of land sold to the Canton Cutlery Company incorporated by Cornelius Aultman on 18-MAR-1881.
Return to Index, Top or Home.

Pencil Divider Graphic

Sheet 21 of the Dec., 1891 Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps shows the area described in the Canton Daily Repository's 05-NOV-1885 account of the fire that destroyed the “Linton Cutlery Co.”  According to the newspaper, the cutlery works was “situated at Virginia ave and the Cleveland & Canton Railway”. Although it is not certain, it is suspected that the cutlery works was on the north side of Virginia Av., east of the C.C. & S. R. R. tracks. The tracks intersect Virginia Av. (now named 8th St. NE) at N40º 48.173' W81º 22.053' WGS84 
Sheet 21 of the Sanborn Maps of Dec 1891 showing the location of the Linton Cutlery Company on Virginia Av at the C. C. & S. railway tracks.
Return to Index, Top or Home.

Pencil Divider Graphic

On 11-FEB-1889, Augustus Vignos & Alvin Hurford mortgaged the land shown on this map.  At the time they were operating The Canton Cutlery Company as a partnership this land had just been purchased by that partnership. This parcel, shown in yellow, contained 1.653 acres. According to the 1889 mortgage document, The Canton Cutlery Company already occupied a separate 1 acre parcel adjacent to, and immediately south of, the parcel shown here in yellow.

Return to Index, Top or Home.

Pencil Divider Graphic

The location for the Canton Cutlery Co. circa 1891 is shown on sheet 22 of this Sanborn Fire Insurance Map for December 1891. The location of the cutlery company's works can be seen in both the inset at the upper left and near the right side of the map, on the north side of E. 2nd ST. (now 5th St. NE), east of the P.F.W & C.R.R. railway crossing.  The main building was centered at N40º 47.920' W81º 21.620' WGS84. Also shown on this map is the address of 82 Rowland, which the Canton City Directory of 1883·84 lists as the residence of Edwin Linton, who is also listed as “vice pres. Canton Cutlery Co.” for that year. 82 Rowland is located on the east side of Rowland, the second house south of Pennsylvania Av. (now 7th St. NE). This location is at: N40º 48.032' W81º 21.686' WGS84.
Sheet 22 of the Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps of Canton for December 1891, showing the third location of the Canton Cutlery Co. and also showing Edwin Linton's residence at 82 Rowland.
Return to Index, Top or Home.

Pencil Divider Graphic

By 1902, the Canton Cutlery Company was located on City Lot No. 3779, which is at 1212-1224 5th St. S.W., and shown on this section of a 1914 Sanborn Map. Also shown are Lot Nos. 3777 & 3778. A 10 foot strip was sold off the east side of Lot No. 3778 and a 15 foot strip off the west side of Lot No. 3777 to Canton Cutlery on 30-DEC-1902. At that time, and according to the record of the deed for this transaction, the Canton Cutlery already occupied the property immediately to the west of these Lots. It is thought that the cutlery company first purchased Lot 3779 and later acquired Lots 3777 & 3778.
Canton Cutlery Company is shown at 1212-1224 5th St. S.W., on this section of a 1914 Sanborn Map.

Return to Index, Top or Home.

Pencil Divider Graphic

The south half of Lot 2706 of the Kitzmiller Addition to the City of Canton was sold on 02-FEB-1886 by Kate R. Linton and Harry E. Linton to Elizabeth Linton as recorded in Vol 219, Page 163-4 of the Stark County deed books. "North St." is now "6th St. NE". and “E. 2nd St.” is now named “5th St.NE”. The property involved in this transaction was located at N40º47.993’ W81º21.963’ (WGS84). The location is shown here on a Sanborn map of December 1891 and on a copy of the 1881 Kitzmiller Addition plat plan.
John E. Kitzmiller Plat shown on 1891 Sanborn Map. John E. Kitzmiller Addition to the City of Canton, Plat Plan from 1881.
Return to Index, Top or Home.

Pencil Divider Graphic

1225 Cleveland Av. S.W., Canton, Ohio was the home of Mathew Elder Meek.  It is also where his granddaughter, Nora Linton, gave birth to Donald Erbland. This map is from the 1914 Insurance Maps at the Stark County library.  The legend indicates that the house located here in 1914 was a wooden frame home. This location can also be seen on a 2002 image from Mapblast.  A note written in 1942 by Donald Erbland is part of our family records and it reads as follows: "Mathew E. Meek Purchased lots # 124 and 125 of Henry H Myers addition of the City of South Canton from Margaret and William Medill April 11, 1864 for $1700.00. Vol. 84 page 223 of Deeds Records Stark County, Ohio. Now known (1942) as 1223 Cleveland Ave. S.W. Lot # 606 and 607 Canton City , Canton Twp. Mathew E. Meek sold to Cyrus S. Bostick, Nov. 9, 1890, [sic - the property was sold 09-NOV-1888 and recorded 28-JUL-1890] Lot (---) for $100.00 Stark County Deed records Vol. 267- Page 11".  The lot numbers "606" and "607" can be seen on this map.

1225 Cleveland Ave. S.W., Canton, Ohio - The Matthew E. Meek Home
Return to Index, Top or Home.

Pencil Divider Graphic

This 1920s era map of Section 14, Twp 11, Range 9, Jackson Twp. Stark County Ohio shows the location of the 2.5 acres of land purchased by Will L. Brown from William H. and Ellen S. Braucher on 09-NOV-1916. The purchase price was $1,100.00. The land was 2.5 acres in area, measuring 165 road frontage by 660 feet deep. Will Brown and his family had lived as tenants of the Braucher's in the house located on this land for 10 years prior to purchasing it.  This map also shows the 0.63 acre portion of that land which was later sold to Marshall F. Clay on 15-JUN-1920 in order that Clay could flood Lake-O-Springs without encroaching on the Brown's land.  According to Will Brown's 1920 personal journal, the sale price was $100.  This piece was the rear 165 feet of the lot, measuring 165' x 165', creating a square parcel containing 0.63 acres. The source map for this scan is located in the Map Room located at the Stark County Office Building at 110 Central Plaza S, Suite 150 Canton, OH  44702.  A superimposed map combines this 1920s era map with the 1966/67 USGS topo maps for the "Canton West" and "North Canton" Quads.  The positions of Lake Slagle and Lake O'Springs can be easily seen on this superimposed map. The water  labelled "Young's Bog" is were the the Brown children used to ice skate before Lake-O-Springs was built.  It was located on the farm of Charles and Pauline Young.
Map of Section 14, Twp 11, Range 9, Jackson Twp, Stark County, Ohio

Return to Index, Top or Home.

Pencil Divider Graphic

The SW corner of the NW 1/4 of Section 14 of Twp 11, Range 9 (Jackson Twp) is where Will L. Brown bought a house and land from Wm. H. Braucher in 1916.  The land ownership maps shown here are part of the "Atlas of Stark County Ohio" published by "The Ohio Map and Atlas Co." in 1896.  The location of the schoolhouse, "Roush School",  where Marion A. Brown (Will L. and Maude's daughter) later went to school is identified on this map by a small schoolhouse icon and the word "school" that appears just below the "o" in "DIST No 7" written across Section 11.  The map on the right is a composite of Jackson and Plain Townships.  It shows the Brown home with a Red X and Roush school with a red circle. Marion Brown walked to Roush School from her home, a distance of about 1.3 miles.  From the map on the right, you can see that it was about a 4.5 mile walk from the Brown house to New Berlin (North Canton).  Marion Brown used to make this walk in order to catch transportation to Canton.
Jackson Twp, Stark County, Ohio, Map circa 1900
Return to Index, Top or Home.

Pencil Divider Graphic

The Stark Rolling Mills building shown on Sheet 74 of the 1914 Sanborn maps of Canton is where Charles Samuel Erbland worked as a "Roller".  The c1916 photograph of Charles and his crew was taken in the building shown on this map.  Based upon the configuration of the rolling machines shown in the photo, it would appear that the picture was taken either in front of the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th machines from the south end of the rolling machines building or in front of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th machines from the north end of the building.. 
Sheet 11 of the 1914 Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps of Canton, Ohio, showing the Stark Rolling Mill building where Charles Samuel Erbland worked.
Return to Index, Top or Home.

Pencil Divider Graphic

706 Navarre Rd. is listed in the 1900 Census as the residence of Joseph Wyss, Anna Gerber and Charles Erbland. Joseph was Anna's 2nd husband. That location is shown on this Sanborn Map for 1897. The coordinates for this location are approx. N40º47.312' W81º23.032' (WGS84). 
1897 Sanborn Map showing the location of 706 Navarre Rd. which is listed in the 1900 Census as the residence of Joseph Wyss, Anna Gerber and Charles Erbland.
Return to Index, Top or Home.

Pencil Divider Graphic

1449 Gibbs Ave., was purchased by Charles S. Erbland and his 2nd wife, Anna R. Erbland (nee Loeppke) on 04-JAN-1921 as recorded in the record of deed.  It was a part of Canton Out Lot No. 260. The house was located at N40º48.759' W81º 21.773' (WGS84). The location is plotted here on part of a 1914 Sanborn Map.
The location of 1449 Gibbs Ave. is plotted here on part of a 1914 Sanborn Map.
Return to Index, Top or Home.

 

Email:  Email JustUs
Copyright:

In order to discourage misuse or abuse of the photographs presented herein, all of the photographs and original text on this web site are copyrighted by Mardon Erbland.  My sister and I will be pleased to share copies of these photos with interested parties upon request.  Please see our Copyright Page for a full explanation and for a statement of our commitment to avoiding infringement of copyrights held by others.  © 1999-2003 by Mardon Erbland

Privacy: 

We wish to be respectful of individual's privacy.  We have not intentionally included pictures of any living persons unless they have given us permission to do so.  Please see our Privacy Statement for details.

Accuracy:

Although the information presented on this web site is accurate to the best of our knowledge, we have made no attempt to meet the rigorous standards of proof required to document lineage for genealogical purposes.  That is why we describe our site as "A Photographic Scrapbook".  See the article, "Computerized Trolling" by Richard A. Pence, for some interesting comments on Web sites vis-à-vis genealogical standards.

Page Load Times: 

Because this site contains lots of  images, the pages may be slow to load.  'Thumbnail' images are used to provide an initial view of each image.  Click on the thumbnail to see a larger image.  Because of the increasing availability of High Speed access (via ADSL or cable connections) this site has been designed for high speed connections.  If you are using a telephone modem please be patient. I hope that you can get a DSL or cable modem soon!  Thanks, Mardon)