of : Canton - New Berlin / North Canton - Wooster
A post card sent to
Will Brown from his wife, Maude. The McKinley Monument is visible
in the background. The card is postmarked at New
Kensington, Pennsylvania and is dated "Aug.18, 1908".
The reverse side of the card reads: "Dear Will, Arrived OK - Everybody glad to see us. Wish you were here to. The children are having a fine time. All send love, Maude".
The outside, back cover of the Aultman Company catalogue for 1900 shows this view of their Canton factory. This factory, as it existed 14 years earlier, is the location where August Erbland died in 1886. The front cover of the catalogue reads, "The Seventieth Year / The Aultman Company, / Canton, Ohio. / Threshers and Engines. / 1900." (The slash marks indicate line breaks and the punctuation shown here is as it appears on the catalogue.) This image was supplied by Dr. Robert T. Rhode, professor of English at Northern Kentucky University and author on the steam-power era. Dr. Rhode is the owner of the original catalogue from which this image is taken. "Many thanks" go out to Dr. Rhode for giving us his permission to use this image on our website. The artist's perspective is looking to the east from a point above the intersection of S. Market and Buckeye St. (now named Buckeye Pl. SW). The "molding department" where August Erbland died is the long building to the extreme left centre of the aerial view; seen running to the upper left of the image from just 'behind' the two tall chimneys. The moulding department building was approx 62 meters long by 33 meters wide. Sheet 11 of the Sanborn maps dated January, 1887, shows the location of the moulding building, which is labelled "Moulding Ho." From this map, it appears that the factory layout that existed in 1886 closely matched this 1900 drawing. The interior photos are also from the 1900 catalogue belonging to Dr. Rhode. They show machinery in the boiler shop.
Farm” was a, East Ohio Gas Company station. This image is from a picture post card
and shows 18 who presumably worked at the station. It was located in Jackson Twp., Stark County,
Ohio. Sam Morehead is the 2nd from the right, back row. Sam Morehead was the son-in-law of Marion Alice Brown, Will Brown’s
sister. Sam's wife was Anirah Agnes Hayward, known as "Nina".
The back of the source postcard is dated 1908. This image is courtesy of Kathleen Morehead.
Building, Canton, Ohio - 1926. This image shows the corner of Cleveland Ave. & 3rd SW, Canton, Ohio
as it appeared in 1926. Printed on the source negative is a notation that reads,
"1926 OHIO POWER CLEV & 3RD SW CANTON O"
Ave School is where Donald Erbland attended class from 1915 - 1919. These pictures
were taken in 1929, a decade after Don attended there. It is located on Gibbs Ave. NE, just a short distance from the house where Donald was then living with his father, Charles Erbland, and his step-mother, Anna Erbland nee
Loeppke, at 1449 Gibbs Ave. NE. The location of this school is:
N40º 48.602' W081º 21.753' ( WGS84).
Printed in Donald Erbland's 'handwriting', on the source negative for the
right-hand image, is a notation that reads, "4TH to 8TH GRADE DON
ERBLAND" and "GIBBS SCHOOL CANTON
Hower St., North Canton, 1929. This negative is labeled: "8-15-29" and "JULY-AUG 1929 No. Canton." The street number on the front of the house is "228". This is the house
that Donald and Marion Erbland moved into for a short time just after they were married.
Donna Leyda (nee Erbland) has a letter dated 8-20-29 that was sent to Marion Erbland (nee Brown) at this address from
Marion's father, Will Brown.
North Canton Church
where Donald Erbland and Marion Brown were married on 20-JUN-1929. Printed on the source negative, in Donald Erbland's
'handwriting', is a notation that reads, "NO CANTON CHURCH
Photo of the NE Corner of Cleveland Ave. and 2nd St.
N.W. The reverse side of the source photo reads "July 31, 1929 / N.E. Corner Cleveland Ave / And 2nd St N.W. / Canton Ohio". This shows the
jewellery store of "E.T. Cusack" and the "Hotel Delmont" next door.. The car in the lower right has a cover over its spare tire that reads, "STANSBERY
home of President William McKinley. The
house has since been demolished. The reverse side of the source photo
2,nd 1928, President
- Home, on S.W. corner
of 8th St.
and Market Ave.
School was attended by the children of Will and Maude Brown after the
family moved into their home in 1906
near what is now Lake-O-Springs in Jackson Twp., Stark County, Ohio. This
picture was taken Feb 13, 1912. Roush school was in District 7 and located in the SE 1/4 of Section 11, Twp. 11, Range 9 (Jackson Twp) Stark County, Ohio. Written on the back of the
source photograph is: "New Berlin Ohio 1912 / Roush School. / Clark Swatrz Teacher / Marion A. Brown - Second Girl from right standing. / Kingsley T. Brown - 2nd Row 3rd from left".Notice the coal pail on the right side of the image.
Some of this same students are listed in the Class
List for the 1907-08 school year.
"arrowheads" were found from time to time by Will Brown and
his son Terry and a few have been kept in the family. The term
"arrowheads" was used by the Brown family to describe them. They are
artifacts. Will found them by 'accident' but Terry's
'expeditions' would occasionally take him to parts of Ohio where he thought these items could be located and he
would then actively search for them. This occurred many years before there
was a public awareness of the need to protect such items. Shown here are
three samples. The light brown flint is 8.5cm from base to tip. The dark flint
in the centre is 7.0cm from base to tip. They are probably examples
of either Raccoon
Notched Points or Mantanzas
Points. The flint on the right is 3.5cm from base to tip. It is
probably a Brewerton
Witwer St. NE in North Canton was the home of the Donald Erbland family
until they moved to Wooster in 1946. Donald subsequently moved the garage
that is seen in the right foreground of the top image from the backyard to the
side of the house. This made a larger backyard which he landscaped nicely.
between 6th St. & 8th St. from photos believed to have been taken in 1928.
The image on the left is reproduced from a negative that
contains the hand-printed notation: "1925 - 700 BLOCK NO MARKET CANTON
OHIO" however, a print produced from
this negative is marked with the date 1928. The source photo for the image on
the right reads, "1928 EAST SIDE NORTH MARKET
STREET BETWEEN 6 & 8 ST. CANTON OHIO".
It is believed that 1928 is the correct date. The house seen in the image
on the left can also be seen on the left side of the image on the right. It is
not known if there is any special reason that this house is the subject of
photos saved in the Erbland family photo collection. This location is very near President
House in Canton - 1929. This image was scanned from a negative. The negative is marked with a hand-printed notation that reads:
"1929 - CANTON OHIO COURT HOUSE".
1929 was the year that Donald and Marion Erbland were married.
1935 flood covered much of Massillon. The top two
images show the area around the
intersection of Charles SE and 1st SE. The source photos for these images are
marked 1935. The source photo for the bottom image has no identification
markings but based upon the similarity of its source photo with the others (for
example, the appearance and quality of the photographic paper used), it is
almost certainly from the same group of photos and depicts the 1935 flood.
Ohio.Year unknown, probably circa 1920s. The Lincoln
Theatre, which is partially visible in the lower left, is located at 156 Lincoln Way East. It opened
on November 23, 1915. Today (2003) the theatre is owned by the
Massillon Lions Club and is occasionally still used for showing movies. This view is looking ENE. The road
in the center of the image is Lincoln Way East, looking toward Canton. Terry and Ruth Brown lived in
Massillon when they first got married. They later moved to the NE part of
Canton, where they lived in several different houses.
McKinley Hotel of Canton, Ohio, is shown
here. The old postcard on the left is circa 1920. It was purchased in 2003 by Will's granddaughter,
Marsha Smith (nee Erbland), for the express purpose of displaying it
on this website. The letterhead on the
right is from the year 1949 and is stationary that was used by Will Brown.. Notice how there appears to have been additional
rooms added to the east and south sides of the hotel during the period between
when these two images were drawn. Written on the reverse side of the sheet of
stationary is Will's travel itinerary from
1929 through 1949. The hotel was located at 310 Market Ave. S.
at the location where the Marriott Canton McKinley Grand stands in 2003,
although the McKinley Grand uses the address of 320 Market Ave. S. This
hotel is where Will Lincoln Brown roomed for many
years. He moved in as a permanent resident on 23-NOV-1945. He stayed in a single room, with no
bath; sharing a common bath with the other hotel guests who resided on his
floor. Will had an interior room, which meant that his window looked into
a 'hollow area' and down upon the ground floor roof that covered the bottom of
the hollow. The door to his room had a manually operated transom above it, to
allow for ventilation. The American
Memory Collection has a good 1913
Bird's Eye View of Canton taken from the McKinley Hotel. The McKinley Hotel was centered on N40° 47.808' W81°
Price Farm Station of The East Ohio Gas Company is shown in these photos. The reverse side of the source photo for the image on the left reads: "Office Price Farm Station". The reverse side of the source photo for the image on the right reads: "1920 The East Ohio Gas Co. Residence, power house and barn at Price Farm Sta."
is thought to have been the final site of the Canton Cutlery Co. was
located on the south side of 5th St., east of the railway tracks, between the
addresses of 1212-1224 5th
St. S.W. Canton Cutlery was occupying a portion of this site by 1902
and all of City Lot Nos. 3777, 3778 & 3779 by the time that the 1914 Sanborn
Fire Insurance Maps were produced. In the end, the cutlery works consisted of two buildings
along 5th St. S.W. plus
2 smaller buildings behind these. The site is now known as 1202 5th St. SW. This
image is shows the location as it appeared in Oct. 2003.
|Copyright:||In order to discourage misuse or abuse of the photographs presented herein, all of the photographs and original text on this web site are copyrighted by Mardon Erbland. My sister and I will be pleased to share copies of these photos with interested parties upon request. Please see our Copyright Page for a full explanation and for a statement of our commitment to avoiding infringement of copyrights held by others. © 1999-2003 by Mardon|
We wish to be respectful of individual's privacy. We have not intentionally included pictures of any living persons unless they have given us permission to do so. Please see our Privacy Statement for details.
Although the information presented on this web site is accurate to the best of our knowledge, we have made no attempt to meet the rigorous standards of proof required to document lineage for genealogical purposes. That is why we describe our site as "A Photographic Scrapbook". See the article, "Computerized Trolling" by Richard A. Pence, for some interesting comments on Web sites vis-à-vis genealogical standards.
Because this site contains lots of images, the pages may be slow to load. 'Thumbnail' images are used to provide an initial view of each image. Click on the thumbnail to see a larger image. Because of the increasing availability of High Speed access (via ADSL or cable connections) this site has been designed for high speed connections. If you are using a telephone modem please be patient. I hope that you can get a DSL or cable modem soon! Thanks, Mardon)